Seratonia III

You were flying in a borrowed blue
BMW. We had it parked by the beach with the waves and the bass
up. The sky was shaking in the window; everything beyond us
was blurred, vibrating, (everything was verbs).
I tried to focus on your reflection in the rearview mirror, and when
you saw me seeing you, you stared right back. The black centers of your eyes


were slowly seeping into blue-green and gold speckled i-
rises. I thought Islands rising out of ocean blues,
and you smiled and I thought sirens when
you started singing La Vie en Rose off Acid Rap and the bass
of your voice echoed after us as we left the car running and crossed, running
at low tide in green tide pools of sand and all their little life below us.


The sun was setting behind your ear (everything was in relation to us)
and a little light was caught in the black part of your eye
so as your gold-flecked iris focused and refocused, jumping
from wonder to wonder, the little light circled the green-blue
circle in the orbital trajectory of a metaphor that had its base
in the universal law of gravitation, and creation myths, and when


I told you this, you said those stories never answered where and when?
So I said, here and now? You were silent. I asked again, us?
And you were silent, so I said maybe in the deepest bass
I could manage, hoping the word would stay echoing where only I
could hear it in the background of whatever blues
Merritt Island was singing


that day. We went swimming
with our clothes on and on the sand and I drowned when
the light left this side of the world and the ocean and sky melted into a blue
of the same muted shade of surrender and the shadows between us
became shadow and we shared it with all the other creatures of the i-
sland and the earth and I realized that a sphere has no base


and this seemed terrifying and I wondered whether the ocean was basic
and, like a child nervously searching for a light switch in his own basement, I started singing
Songs to Survive the Summer to help you survive the come down. Your eyes
were closed when I reached we are the song death takes it’s own time singing. When
I had no more words you laughed. Why would death want to sing us
our lives for his whole life, you know, there is more to music than the blues.


The tides had risen and we wanted to leave. You said I should go first and I did and when
I was on the other side the base of my head was throbbing from the cold waves between us.
I said, now you… … … The stars had started to surface and the sky was a darkening blue.

Comments

Popular Posts