Resurrection


This is a declaration of my decision to speak
which is to say that I’ve decided to live
a life in which I honor the gift
given to me when I thought I was gone as a kid
hospital gown ghost trying to shapeshift
decrepped old bones back to Odysseus.

They said my fate was sealed in flesh with forty-nine stitches
and / so I write rhymes to redefine this myth
the / fates sealed my flesh with forty-nine stitches
that’s / why I write rhymes to redefine what myth is.

Whenever I feel trapped within the cage of illness
I take those 16 bars and rearrange the frame of my ribcage to build a stairway
between the mind and the heart
so neither will ever fade nor fall so far apart
that they can’t climb to find their way back to the start
when the soul and the body were one
before the scalpel begun
its careful quiet work of
removing the light from a son.

I still remember the darkness
of the bathroom stall where I hid.

Leaving the river, Narcissus would despair while gripping the toilet rim,
for surely he was not the thing staring back through the stains in the porcelain,
terrified for the first time he would try to hide his face
from the fact that he would always be sick,
and how do you reconcile with that as a kid.
I had no choice, I had to make sense out of language and spit,
and that was the gift given by the removal process.

I would spell spina bifida s. o. n. g. with the flick of a wrist.
I would shake the water and salt from the wings of Icarus
scratches in the wax, what was broken would be fixed
as my heart began to beat to beats by common
they said surgery but the only words I heard were
resurrection
re-resurrection
re-resurrection
re-resurrection.

Comments

Popular Posts