Seratonia II

You and Eve are flying
in the backseat of my roommate's BMW.
It’s parked
by the beach with the bass up. Acid
Rap oozing out the windows.

*

It’s only a piece of paper,
you tell me, smiling in the reflection
of the rearview mirror. I watch
the black of your pupils
seep into blue-
green and brown speckled irises.
Islands, I think, are made
this way.

*

We cross barefoot at low
tide– pools of green
aquatic creatures
mashing between our toes.

*

My damp white tee shirt;
you see through to my rib.

*

You pull up a hand
full of Merritt Island,
lift it to my nose– salt, leaf rot,
wet moss,– and whisper,
we are here.

*

As grains of sand and
water falls from your eyes
you tell me,

whether or not you live
your dreams will be determined
in the moment
you seemingly don’t achieve them.
or earth wants everything that you are
or I want everything that you are
or just fuck me

without saying a word.

*

Eve is lying inside the roots of a tree. In her eyes
it’s all verbs. The bark doesn’t have cracks like skin. The bark
cracks like skin. Roots weaving, ants swarming– the information
multiplies. Ones and zeros crawl over gray ridges and folds,
turning them black.

*

I’m singing Songs to Survive the Summer
to help you survive the come down. The sea sprays
on our rock ledge and the sun sets and I’m glad
that we are not so far north as to hear the Stellar’s Jay
cry thief! when sour juices drip yellow from our mouths,
,not in the least bit venomous, and you laugh when I sing
we are the song death takes its own time singing because you don’t
think death is the sort to smile and sing and recite dust-covered poetry,
and I don’t think death is in anything, especially not in the transparent
stain left on your cheek after Eve kissed you, or in the way you silence
me with your tongue and your lips.

*

It’s only a piece of paper,
you tell me.

Comments

Popular Posts